I'm Colin Caprani, from Dublin, Ireland, and am a lecturer in Structural Engineering at the Dublin Institute of Technology. This site primarily represents my professional activities, and so I'll elaborate on my background:
- BSc(Eng) - Bachelor of Science in Structural Engineering (First Class Honours, placed first in class at Dublin Institute of Technology, Bolton St.), University of Dublin, 1999;
- DipEng - Diploma in Structural Engineering, Dublin Institute of Technology, 1999;
- PhD - Doctor of Philosophy, University College Dublin, 2006.
- CEng MIStructE - Chartered Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers;
- CEng MIEI - Chartered Member of the Institution of Engineers of Ireland;
- MIABSE - Member of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering.
- ISWIM - International Society of Weigh-In-Motion - Member;
- IABMAS - International Association for Bridge Maintenance and Safety, Member.
- Honourary Secretary of the Republic of Ireland Branch of the Institution of Structural Engineers from 2009. Committee member since 2001;
- Founding member of IABSE Irish National Group;
- Chair of Bridge Engineering strand of Bridge & Concrete Research in Ireland 2010 conference.
- Bridge engineer with Roughan O'Donovan, 1 year part-time;
- Structural engineer on buildings with Carew Associates (now White Young Green, Dublin), 2 years;
- Structural engineer on buildings with Walsh Goodfellow, 2 years;
- Draughtsman, site engineer and student design engineer, about 1 year total.
- Reviewer for Structure & Infrastructure Engineering;
- Reviewer for ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering;
- Reviewer for Engineering Structures;
- Reviewer for Structural Engineering International;
- Reviewer for BCRI 2010;
- Branch editor of the Republic of Ireland Branch Special Edition of The Structural Engineer, 16 August 2005,
- Branch editor of the Republic of Ireland Branch Special Edition of The Structural Engineer, April 2009;
- Editor of the Institution of Structural Engineers, Republic of Ireland Branch Newsletter, 2005 - 2008.
- Second Prize, Young Researchers' Conference, Institution of Structural Engineers, London, 2004;
- Winner of the Institution of Structural Engineers, Republic of Ireland Branch Student Prize, 1999;
- Winner of the Michael Carew Prize for Best Overall Student Performance in the 1999 class of Structural Engineering, DIT;
- Winner of the Irish Precast Concrete Association, Structural Design Computer Program Project, DIT, 1999.